Friday, December 10, 2010

Worry, copied from a friends msg. today

Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid I will trust in You.
Recently I learned a few things about myself and worry.
1. Worry can stem from childhood. When children experience parent/child reversal roles due to such things as illness, unemployment and addictions worry becomes an early life pattern.
2. People who worry often believe that their anxiety somehow helps them to avoid bad things. They believe it prevents problems, helps them prepare for the worst or gives them a way to control circumstances.
3. People who worry hate uncertainty but rather seek guaranteed outcomes.
Whoa! Guaranteed outcomes? That doesn’t leave room for trusting God does it? In fact worry sounds like the opposite to trust. Lord, forgive me. Help me to see worry as sin in your eyes, and unbelief.
Jesus spoke at length about worry for He was aware that each day has no shortage of troubles. He reminded his listeners of Gods faithfulness to small things like the birds of the air, and the lilies of the field. Jesus encourages us to seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all things will be given to us.
Matthew 6:27
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
If you, like me, are prone to worry, let it go, my friend. God is our refuge and strength an ever-present help in trouble. (Psalm 46) No matter why we worry, let us determine to trade our worries for trust and look to Him, knowing that He cares for us.
Dear God, I confess that often times my first response is to worry, then pray and then worry some more. I take off the cloak of worry today knowing that it has no value and replace it with a shining robe of trust. Even when life seems uncertain and scar… I will look to you, Amen.
Question: Is worry something that you need to confess and relinquish?

No comments: